Thursday, October 7, 2010

What a shame?

NO! not a shame, maybe a sham?

Whatever the reason behind the latest offering from Robbie Williams and his old pal and band mate Gary Barlow I don't care, because it really is quite good.

It's their first collaboration in 15 years and my initial impression was "Yeah not bad", after finally disabling the repeat function after 2 days and 83 listens I now know the song off by heart and absolutely love it.

I have always been a huge Robbie fan, even when he was huge back in those Take That days in the 90's, he was and always will be known I guess as 'The fat one' from Take That. But, here is a tip for all you fatties who have eaten every diet ever put in front of you, take drugs, develop an alcohol problem and shag everything when you get the chance and the weight will fall off you (Women take precautions or you will put weight on). Another thing that comes with becoming an alcoholic drug addict, the public will feel sorry for you, buy all your records and give you loads more drug and beer tokens. Not only will you lose a few years off your life but the waistline also.

I can vividly remember Robbie's come back single 'Let me entertain you', I remember thinking, wow that's the fat one from Take That, but thinner, not only has he lost a few kilos he has gained a better voice from somewhere, still that little cockiness but then that's what attracts so many people to him of all ages and sex, the Mothers want to Mother him, the young girls want to help him lose a bit more weight without the drugs and drink and guys want to be like him. I have watched him in recent interviews and he seems like a really nice Man now, I hate you more than ever Robbie.

I think there is a bit of cynicism in all of us so when I heard he was bringing out a new single with his old mate Gary Barlow I must admit I was a little sceptical. My first thought before hearing the track was "Oh who cares that they were friends, then fell out and are now friends again". What is this, two former band mates and pals making up in public after an argument? Maybe one has a new album coming out! (Well yes actually they do, Robbie is releasing his greatest hits 2 and 'What a shame' is the title track from it) But I honestly don't think he is doing it for publicity, he is not on the look out for a new girl as he is very happy and about to marry the love of his life Aida, besides Mark Owen is the new one getting fruity in a bunch of flings. Through all the scandals that celebritydom attracts, one rotten 'Orange' can't ruin the Barlow. (I know what you're thinking, it wasn't Jason Orange that had the affairs, I know, even more of a shame is the fact his name wasn't Jason Apple) Gary is also still the most talented member of any boy band in the history of boy bands. Am I to include the Beatles in that category, if so, I am sorry Messrs Lenon and McCartney but your neighbour along the M62 has written arguably more classics than yourself, Imagine that.

Williams and Barlow, maybe not the same ring to it and I have to admit this first attempt at a writing partnership is no 'Hey Jude' or 'Yesterday', but I am sure it will be the tomorrow. OK the lyrics to 'What a shame' are a little lame, it's basically two blokes explaining how miffed they were at each others success, having little digs at each other even while joking about the ridiculousness of their past feud. Robbie sings how much he wanted Gary to feel his pain and Gary retorting how he felt like crying so much he could of filled the Albert hall with his tears. Is it coincidence he chose that vessel to show the volume of his tears, it just so happens to be the venue Gary arranged a recent concert and coincidentally gave Robbie a little spot on the bill.

So is the song a public announcement that the couple are back for good, all their differences are behind them and we can all look forward to some more magic from Gary, Jason, Robbie, Mark and the other one who isn't or never was fat? I think the circus is finally over, I hope it's for real and not just another kiss and make up scam by Max Clifford. I sincerely hope not, because after listening to 'What a shame' for the 89th time now, I think it would have been a shame if they hadn't made up, even if only for this one song. It's a classic in the making and will go down in 'Making up songs' history.

When or if you do have a listen to it, make sure you listen right 'til the end, because you can still detect all is not amicable as they are both still trying to get the last word in, there is only one way to sort this feud out once and for all, get them in the ring, Harry hill prime time Saturday night, FIIIIIIIGGGHHHHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT! Have a listen here, www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv49bC5xGVY

let me know what you think. @pitstopmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Followers

Blog Archive